_ Yuri Kofner, research assistant, IIASA. Laxernburg, 10 May 2019.
Kofner J. (2019) Connecting Eurasia Dialogue. IIASA. Laxenburg. – 10 p.
As part of an IIASA project on Eurasian economic integration, IIASA researcher Yuri Kofner was invited to write a discussion paper as a contribution to a high-level dialogue involving global leaders from academia, governments, and business.
The event Connecting Eurasia: From the Atlantic to the Pacific Ocean brought together international stakeholders to discuss trade and development of the European and Asian markets. The meeting focused on a variety of pressing issues, such as challenges and opportunities of Europe’s engagement with the Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU), the harmonization of soft infrastructure to enhance trans-Eurasian connectivity, and the EAEU’s single pharmaceutical market.
In the context of the IIASA initiative Challenges and Opportunities of Economic Integration within a Wider European and Eurasian Space, IIASA researcher Jurij Kofner was invited to write a discussion paper to provide a summary of these deliberations, and to analyze the potential and conditions for the creation of a common economic space between the European Union (EU) and the EAEU.
Speakers at the event included:
- Tatyana Valovaya, Minister of Integration and Macroeconomics, Eurasian Economic Commission
- Romano Prodi, President of the European Commission (1999–2004); Prime Minister of Italy (1996–1998, 2006–2008)
- Aleksander Pankin, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation
- Sodiq Safoyev, First Deputy Chairperson, Senate of Uzbekistan
- Arnaldo Abruzzini, Chief Executive Officer, Association of European Chambers of Commerce and Industry (EUROCHAMBRES)
- Koen Berden, Executive Director for International Affairs, European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA)
- Antonio Fallico, Chairman, Board of Directors, Banca Intesa; President, Conoscere Eurasia Association.